View My Stats

Friday 13 August 2010

The Corporate Wardrobe - Part 2



One of the most searched for and read posts on my blog (according to the feedjit widget) is my post about The Corporate Wardrobe.  Lots of google searches for that one!

I still maintain what I wrote in that original post.  Unless you're fortunate to work from home, chances are that you'll be wearing the corporate stuff a lot more than the rest of your wardrobe, so it really is important to buy the best quality you can afford.  I find that a lot of trousers sag and stretch around the knee and butt area after a few wears.  Not a good look.  The seasons are changing on both sides of the world, so lots of new goodies should be coming into stores.  Look out of the spend and save offers... instead of buying a couple of cheap thrills, save up for something a little bit better.  9/10 times you really do get what you pay for.

One of my favourite suits is 4 years old.  I was a poor student at the time, but I stretched my budget and 4 years later still wear it at least once a fortnight.  The suit isn't polyster and that's the trick.  It's a cotton and wool blend - warm in winter and allows me to breathe in summer.  Wool is a wonderful fabric for work clothes, it holds its shape really well and lasts a long time.

Again, I don't have a lot of stuff, but what I do have I adore and it all fits me really well.  If I "grow out" of things, they're out.  I always try to feel my best and most confident at work and ill fitting clothes don't help me feel that way.  I wear every piece at least once every 7-10 days.  Case in point - I only have one pair of black pumps - classic Sergio Rossi eek skin pointy heels. But I take good care of them - they see the shoe man once every 2-3 months for repairs!


Tweed!  Great look for work with a pretty blouse.  But make sure that it's at least a wool blend!  That's the big tip.

A black wool/cashmere cardigan.  If your office is like mine, it's FREEZING.  This little guy can be work under  jackets for added warmth or over things when it's a bit chilly.



Don't be afraid of details - ruffles, pussy bows, lace around the edges.. and remember, it doesn't have to be black!


I also love a bit of detail - pleats, zips.. a bit of personality


Printed shifts!  


Loose dresses that can be layered over t shirts and knits, but also be worn on the weekend tick all of my boxes.


Remember I said zips?


3/4 sleeves


More about basics - tees, knits, jersey - below...





If you buy a pair of shoes this coming season, make it a pair of ankle boots.  You can wear them to work, or on the weekend and they're less sexy than a pair of knee high boots for work.  They'll still keep your feet warm and protect you from the elements.



See, very subtle...



Military detailed coats... love!


Tied with my love of cocoon coats... There's till a good few months of cold weather left in Melbourne.


Now, basics... a tee, either long or short sleeve, be it cotton, jersey or wool is a God send.  You can layer it under items for extra warmth and save yourself the ironing or dry cleaning bill!  Straight in the wash.


Opaque tights hide a multitude of sins (including winter wary, white legs)...

All these items can be worn for seasons to come and can be mixed and matched rather easy.  If you have any further questions or consultation requests, get in touch with me.  Corporate wardrobes are my passion! 

all images via NAP due to ease of navigation through the site.. can do a "budget" post if you, my dear readers, wish!


US Vogue

6 comments:

  1. Great post with great tips. Since Melbourne and Auckland have similar weather, I can def use these tips. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All very nice outfits and all could be worn in conservative environments too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your photo choices..
    Great taste in fashion, I am so glad I found another great aussie blogger.
    LOx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:48 am

    This is a great post! I think great quality suits (with the pencil skirt) and little black dresses are the best. I hate pant suits or anything that has to do with pants! but you have great choices!

    xoxo
    Miss Neira

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice taste! and i love those coats

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:29 am

    Fantaѕtic blog you hаνe herе but
    I wаs curious abоut if yοu
    kneω of any message boаrԁѕ that сover thе same tοpіcs diѕcussed
    here? I'd really like to be a part of community where I can get suggestions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

    my homepage :: Online Payday Oan
    Also see my web page - Online Payday oan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.