View My Stats

Tuesday 9 November 2010

Kicking the sugar habit - take 2

I've previously blogged about the evil of sugar.  And today I've found out that sugar is more addictive than cocaine! With my holidays creeping up (and the intention to spend 3.5 weeks in a bikini at various beaches around the world),  The GOOP newsletter was a timely reminder to change my habits.


Sugar is also associated with many chronic problems that include decreased immunity, some chronic infections, autoimmune diseases, heart disease, diabetes, pain syndromes, irritable bowel syndrome, ADD, chronic fatigue, and candida. Research suggests that one of the main causes for decreased immunity is that sugars inhibit the entrance of Vitamin C into white blood cells, which then inhibits immunity. The more sugar, the less productive your white blood cells are and thus, the less immune you are. Furthermore, sugars stimulate insulin secretion in the pancreas, which in turn stimulates the liver’s triglyceride production. Triglycerides are linked to stroke, heart disease and obesity.


Sugar is my drug of choice.  I'm not a fan of carbs (I consume bread/pasta/rice once a month, if that).  And salt?  Did you know that I do not have salt at home?  I refuse to add it to food, as I know there's already more than enough in all the other food that I consume.   I don't drink or smoke but I'll eat sweets like they're going out of fashion!  Maybe that is the reason that when I get sick, I'm virtually on my death bed.  I'm so motivated not to consume sugar until the trip (hello High Tea at Raffles in Singapore) that I am no longer carrying any money with me to minimise the temptation to purchase a cupcake or a chocolate bar.  (that and to save myself from shopping temptations - what's with my addictive personality of late... sugar... shopping.. REHAB??) 

You can read more about the evils of sugar and tips to beat the addiction in the GOOP newsletter. But a disclaimer, it's a little bit scary.

image via habitually chic blog

8 comments:

  1. Hi girl.
    I sub to GOOP as well.
    Is she not the most fantastic girl ever_)

    Have a nice day, and i will try and kick it with you.
    Bye

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar is an evil, but I prefer a bit of everything in moderation.
    I don't actually consume processed sugars as in cakes, cookies etc often, but when I do I enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck kicking your sugar habit but don't be to hard on yourself! Do it gradually. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are going to die...ok, I have like almost 3 spoonfuls of sugar with coffee every morning, and i hate it!!! But I love coffee and I can't drink it plain. Help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sugar IS evil - especially the white stuff. Nasty. I struggle with the same and am replacing, replacing, replacing. It's a mental choice, but not an easy one...i ate a small bite of chocolate bar this AM to curb the craving. UGH!

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:45 am

    Wohh good luck with that! I love sugar, carbs, salt but I'm a big 'everything in moderation' girl.

    Thanks for the comment :)

    XXASAB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:46 am

    B the W, love that you've got the right now sidebar thing! I've had mine since like january and LOVE reading other bloggers'

    XXASAB

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:17 pm

    I cut sugar out completely (the processed variety) on doctor's orders, overnight. The first 3 months nearly killed me.

    Now, if I have a monster craving (happens to us all) I make myself wait 24-48 hours, and then have a tiny bit (buy a chocolate bar, 1 bite, throw it away).

    I feel the best I have in a long time, using this system.

    Good luck
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment.